Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Why do bad things happen to good people?

    First of all, even though I chose it, I want to debate the title of this post.  I've come to realize this is not "bad" news.  Certainly it is unexpected and unplanned, but it is not necessarily bad.  Certainly it will be hard to watch as this child likely will struggle to do things that come easily for his older sisters, but this would be true of any child.  And every child is different, even children with Down syndrome.  He may not struggle in all the ways the experts say that he will.  And, the harder something is, the more we will celebrate the accomplishment of it.  Secondly, I don't consider myself "good."  I strive to live a life that pleases God, but I am by no means "good."  I am a sinner, as is everyone else on earth.  
    So throughout the Bible, throughout history and in our lives today, we see "bad things" happen all around us.  Bad things began happening when sin entered the world through Adam and Eve.  Does this mean if something bad happens to us it is because of a certain sin in our life? No.  Certainly sin does have consequences, and some "bad things" in our lives our a direct result of sin.  For example, losing your job because you got caught stealing from your company, is a direct result of sin.  But just because something bad happens, doesn't mean it is a consequence of sin.  Think of the blind man in John 9:1-3 where the disciples asked "who sinned this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?"  
    So yes, God does allow bad things to happen in our lives.  However, as Christians we are given the promise in Romans 8:28 "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God." 
   Also, we cannot leave this topic without looking at all the undeserved good things that happen in the Bible and in our lives today that are undeserved.  Going back to the story of Adam and Eve, God promised that if they ate from the tree, they would "surely die."  And we all know, they did not die, they continued to live.  Sure they were punished, but they were given a less severe punishment.  Not only did God not kill them, he also lovingly made them clothes out of animal skin, as a father would provide for his children.  When we went to the last doctor's appointment and received the news that there probably is not a major heart defect, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I did not deserve this.  I felt like this was a gift directly from my loving Father and an answer to prayer.  I am incredibly grateful for all the prayers said on our behalf.  
   I am not a theologian.  I do not pretend that I am setting to rest an age old question in one blog post.    However, these are my thoughts and conclusions as I am going through this situation and I hope you find encouragement from it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment